You are here: Home » Travel Documents

Getting Tibet Travel Permits - the Tibet Visa 2018/2019

Tibet Travel Permits - Tibet Visa 2018/2019

Due to Tibet's unique background, Apart from a Passport and a Chinese Visa, all foreign tourists and Taiwan tourists (except for Hong Kong and Macao residents holding Chinese passports or return certificates) allowed to enter Tibet must have Tibet Travel Permits, which are Tibet Entry Permit (TTB), Alien's Travel Permit (PSB) and Tibet Military Permit, issued by three different Tibet authority bureaus. The foremost TTB is applied before your tour and the other two permits are applied after your arrival in Tibet.

TTB Permit - Tibet Entry Permit

Issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau, TTB Permit is necessary for entry to Tibet. When you fly from any city to Lhasa you will need to show this permit when you check in at the airport. Furthermore, whenever you buy a flight to Lhasa you need to show this permit. Read more about it.

PSB Permit - Aliens' Travel Permit

Issued by Foreign Affairs Section of the Local Public Security Bureau, PSB Permit is needed to enter the "unopened" areas in Tibet, such as Mt. Everest. Read more about it.

Military Area Entry Permit

The military area entry permit is required if tourists are planning to travel to some military sensitive areas in Tibet. Like Mount Kailash in Ali, Rowok Lake in Chamdo. Read more about it.

Here are the samples of these 3 permits

How to get Tibet Permits

Foreign tourists and Taiwan tourists can’t apply Tibet Permits in individual, and there’s no travel agency can provide "permit-only" service, so the only way to get Tibet Permits is to book tours with a local travel agency directly.
You just need to send them your high resolution copies of your passport, China visa and some personal info, including full name, gender, date of birth, passport number, nationality and occupation, at least 10-15 days before your Tibet tour.

Tibet Permits from Nepal

If you are going to Tibet from Kathmandu, you'd better get China visa from Kathmandu because no matter you've already got the visa in your country or not, you must get a visa in Kathmandu, which is regulated in an official memo between China and Nepal. Then you should contact a travel agency in Kathmandu for travel to Tibet overland from Nepal. You are not allowed to travel alone to this area. Click to find more.

Contact us to talk about your trip

    Contact Information

  • FullName is required
  • EmailAddress is required
  • Tell more about your Trip Ideas

  • Date is required
  • Verification code required
  • Submit